Awareness and clearing asbestos on construction sites
Nature of asbestos:
Asbestos is a characteristic material that was widely used as building material since late 50’s until the end of the century. Asbestos is now banned but if you work in a building built before the end of the century, it’s likely that some parts of the structure will contain asbestos; this includes many different infrastructures. In early years it was used as a padding to keep in heat and keep out cold, has good fire protection properties and protect against corrosion. In most cases asbestos is often mixed with other materials.
Remember, products that contain asbestos can look identical to those that do not.
Keep away from asbestos
If left alone untouched it isn’t harmful, but if asbestos fibers are discharged through braking, drilling, scrapping and breathed in, the fibers get lodged in your lungs they cannot be broken down by your body’s natural defenses or coughed out; this can then lead to asbestos accompanying lung deceases such a lung cancer or asbestosis. These deceases will not have an influence on your health immediately; they will often take a lengthy time to flourish, but once recognized, it is too late to do anything. Smokers are at greater risk of contracting asbestos related than non-smokers.
Remember, materials that contain asbestos can look similar to those that do not.
Examples of asbestos containing material:
- Fire protection to doors, protected exits and steel work
- Cladding on walls and ceilings.
- Internal walls, some types of partitions and suspended ceiling tiles.
Asbestos cement, which is found as:
- Grooved roofing and cladding sheets of buildings.
- Horizontal sheets for partitions, sidings and door facing.
- Rainwater gutters and down pipes.
- Cable troughs.
Insulation and sprayed coatings used for:
- Boilers, plant and pipe work secluded in under floor ducting.
- Fire preservation to steelwork, concealed abaft false ceilings.
- Thermal and acoustic insulation of construction structures.
Clearing and cleaning work sites from asbestos:
Cleaners could vacuum internal office or building premises if you find out more dust than usual on the desks, wooden or carpeted floor. But essential cleaning services and maintenance crew must attend a work and start tidying up site only if they are trained and certificated to do so. There is a big possibility that this could be an environmental health hazard if done frequently. So to clear asbestos you must call certified companies to provide you this service. Taking the risk to clean it alone could induce harm to your body or body organs in the future.
If you hire a company to remove asbestos from your premises, first make sure to check that they have the adequate training and professional equipment to go along with the task. In case that you don’t have funds and you choose to remove asbestos components yourself, be aware and make sure you’re wearing absolute professional personal protective equipment. Starting with essential dust mask approved only for asbestos use and a wear disposable overall.
Follow the most important precautions:
• You have to seal the area and put a warning sign or note, keep people well away from the working area.
• Spray to dump the asbestos material well with water and mixed up with washing up liquid
• Remember when proceed with the clearing remove always whole parts and components – never break them up to create dust.
• Always use to clear the debris into strong plastic, preferably labeled bags and seal those tightly.
• Next step is to clean up all dust and leftovers with really damp clothing and then dispose it in a plastic bag then seal it.
• Never use a domestic vacuum cleaner.
• Always wear dust masks and adequate protective clothing.
Clearing and cleaning work sites from asbestos